Why conduct a trial and error when crafting a website design if you can create a stunning one in just first try? Sometimes, all you need to do is equip yourself not only with the essential technical knowledge about this process but also with the lessons from the mistakes committed by other website designers. Avoiding the commonly committed mistakes can also save you time, money, and effort.
What should you avoid when designing a website?
- Using too many styles on just one page. When you use too many design styles and typographic, it will be pretty difficult to determine the focus. It can also make the website look unprofessional.
- Not breaking down content into logical blocks. It will be easier for visitors to digest the given information if it is divided into different logical blocks. Use color backgrounds when separating blocks of content or text.
- Leaving spaces of numerous different widths. Uneven spaces between content or items can make the webpage look messy. Also, users may not give the same level of consideration to every section.
- Making the headline or title too large or too long. It is okay to use huge fonts for short headlines but if the title is lengthy, opt for smaller fonts.
- Using many colors. It can confuse the website visitors. One or two colors are already enough to provide visual prominence to significant elements.
- Narrow columns crowded with texts. This can compromise the readability of the text. Most likely, no visitor will spend time trying to read lots of text placed in narrow columns.
- Covering small details or meaningful parts of a photo with text. Always keep in mind the text readability. Don’t be afraid to try numerous different positions for the lines. Consider aligning the text left, place them vertically or in the center.
- The italicizing text even when it is not needed. The purpose of italicizing is to highlight a short phrase or word within a text. So be careful when using it.
- Centering long content. Again, it will make it difficult for visitors to read the text. Apply to center the headlines, block quotes, or phrases that need to be distinguished from the rest of the content.
- Leaving empty space between 2 full-screen pictures. Apart from the fact that it is not visually appealing, the empty space also makes no sense.
- Key phrases or any elements that are meant to stand out are placed close to the body. This will not serve the purpose of the stand-out elements or independent objects. To make sure that elements that are to be highlighted are given attention, place them at 75 to 120 px from the site’s main text.
- Placing the caption close to the image. An image and a caption are two different, separate elements. So don’t position the caption too close to the photo otherwise you will have trouble engaging properly with either of it.
- Forgetting to include contact information that can be seen easily. If the website is for business, including contact details is of paramount importance.
- Placing social media icons at the top of the site. It can distract visitors and encourage them to leave the website immediately.
The above mentioned mistakes are just some of the things you should know. Continue searching and educating yourself.